SPONSORSHIP FIRST FOR ST. MELLION AHEAD OF BRITISH CHALLENGE
One of the UK’s leading golf resorts has agreed its first ever ambassadorial contract with a European Tour player. Confirmation of the St. Mellion Estate deal with the big-hitting Englishman Ben Stow comes just days before the eagerly awaited British Challenge presented by Modest! Golf Management tees off at the Cornish venue on 6 October.
Stow, who turned professional in 2015, has enjoyed a string of impressive performances on the Challenge Tour recently following a top 10 finish at the Open de Portugal at Royal Obidos with a top five slot at the Swiss Challenge at Golf Saint Apollinaire. His historic signing with the prestigious 36-hole tour venue means the new endorsement will be visible during the penultimate event in the Challenge Tour’s Road to Mallorca, held at St. Mellion Estate.
“I will be proud to have the St. Mellion Estate logo on my bag,” said the 30-year-old. “I have had a long-standing relationship with St. Mellion Estate and am honoured to represent them on tour and around the world.”
The two-year deal will see the Salisbury born golfer don the distinctive St. Mellion Estate crest on his tour bag. Stow, who was coached at the St. Mellion Estate PGA Golf Academy, noted that the sponsorship deal represented a significant step forward in his career and felt optimistic the partnership had the potential to develop further over time.
“It’s huge for me,” he said. “It’s the kind of relationship that I hope I can develop with St. Mellion Estate, building an even stronger partnership between player and sponsor. Clearly the financial support will be a tremendous help over the next two years while I endeavour to achieve my golfing goals.”
Set in 450 acres of stunning Cornish countryside, St. Mellion Estate has a track record of hosting golf tournaments at the highest level. The ambassadorial role with Stow is the first time the resort has officially aligned itself with a player on the European stage.
“St. Mellion has a proud heritage, especially when it comes to establishing the reputations of some of the biggest names in golf,” said David Moon, Director of Golf at St. Mellion Estate. “The idea of formalising a relationship with a European Tour professional has been discussed at various times, but as we monitored Ben’s progress, the team was convinced he would be a good fit especially given his existing association with the resort.”
He continued: “St. Mellion Estate has established itself as one of the leading golf resorts in the UK and is a 12-time European Tour venue. We wanted to align ourselves with a player who could embody that standard and help us build on the legacy created by Jack Nicklaus. We are thrilled to announce that Ben Stow will be our new St. Mellion ambassador.”
Not surprisingly, the return of elite golf to the legendary Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course has been eagerly awaited by golf fans and players alike. “Hosting a European Tour event again at St. Mellion Estate has been a goal of ours for quite some time,” said Moon. “This is, after all, an opportunity for Europe’s finest golfers to follow in the footsteps of legends. It will be especially pleasing to have our logo represented on a player’s bag for the first time and welcome golf fans from around the country to enjoy this exciting event.”
The British Challenge at St. Mellion Estate will be a free ticketed event with spectators of all ages welcome to enjoy the unfolding drama. To register for a free ticket, please follow the URL link: https://www.st-mellion.co.uk/en/british-challenge.html. Alternatively, highlights of the tournament will be aired on Sky Sports.
– Ends –
Note to editors
1) Set in 450 acres of stunning Cornish countryside, St. Mellion Estate is a prestigious 36-hole tour venue with a heritage of golf at the highest level. For more details, visit www.st-mellion.co.uk.
2) The Nicklaus Signature Course at St. Mellion Estate was the first European course personally designed by Jack Nicklaus – the most successful golfer of all time.
3) St. Mellion Estate will host the highly anticipated British Challenge presented by Modest! Golf Management from 6-9 October, 2022.
4) Featuring two world-class 18-hole courses both with European Tour pedigree, St. Mellion Estate seamlessly combines sporting excellence with the very best of Cornish hospitality.
5) St. Mellion Estate is a four-star resort and 12-time European Tour venue with two Challenge Tour events in the diary.
6) St. Mellion Estate has established itself as one of the UK’s leading golf resorts. In its list of the best resorts in the UK and Ireland, Golf World ranked St. Mellion Estate in the top 20.
7) The Nicklaus Signature Course at St. Mellion Estate was voted the best golf course in the West of England by Today’s Golfer and #2 on its list of top four-star golf resorts in UK and Ireland.
8) St. Mellion Estate has hosted the B&H International Open seven times with Olazabal, Langer and Ballesteros among the winners.
9) The British Challenge will be the 29th tournament in an international schedule composed of 30 events. It is the penultimate outing before the Rolex Challenge Tour Grand Final supported by The R&A. To register for a free ticket to the event, please follow the URL link below:
10) The top 20 players on the Road to Mallorca Rankings will earn DP World Tour playing rights for the 2023 season. For more details, visit www.europeantour.com/challenge-tour
For further quotes, interview opportunities and images, please contact:
Yvonne Alexander, The Word Association
+44 (0) 7976 369 260