SOUTH WEST READY FOR BRITISH CHALLENGE BOOST
As anticipation grows around one the most eagerly awaited golf tournaments to be held in the South West in years, local businesses and stakeholders are looking forward to a timely autumnal boost. The British Challenge presented by Modest! Golf Management will be held at St. Mellion Estate, one of the UK’s leading golf resorts, from 6-9 October and is expected to attract thousands of sports fans to the region.
The prestigious venue, which features two world-class 18-hole courses both with European Tour pedigree, will welcome back elite golf after a 15-year hiatus. It is a momentous return to golf’s top tier that is being keenly awaited not only by golf fans, but also tourism industry chiefs.
“It is so exciting to have the British Challenge in Cornwall,” explained Malcolm Bell, Chief Executive of Visit Cornwall. “I know the team at St Mellion Estate will ensure a great event that will attract spectators from not only the local area but also the wider region and other parts of the UK.”
He continued: “The influx of visitors to Cornwall in October will be a much-needed lift to local businesses which have survived a challenging couple of years. From restaurants and hotels to B&Bs and taxis drivers, the potential dividend from the event at St. Mellion Estate will hopefully reach many in the local community.”
For Europe’s leading golfers, the opportunity to tee it up at one of the UK’s most revered championship layouts will be an opportunity not to be missed. After all, the Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course was recently voted the best golf course in the West of England by Today’s Golfer and #2 on its list of top four-star golf resorts in the UK and Ireland.
“St. Mellion is a 12-time European Tour venue,” said David Moon, Director of Golf at St. Mellion Estate. “Many of golf’s greatest players competed here including Olazabal, Langer and Ballesteros. This is where they established themselves as legends of the game. It’s perhaps not surprising that golf’s rising stars are looking forward to playing competitive golf back in the South West.”
The event, which is the penultimate tournament in the Challenge Tour’s Road to Mallorca, continues a legacy of top-tier golf at the Cornish resort which achieved legendary status when the Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course was opened in 1988. “We’re anticipating around 5,000 visitors to the region,” noted Moon. “On top of that, we will enlist around 100 volunteers each day to help deliver a first-class golf tournament. It’s going to be a very special event.”
To engage the local community, St. Mellion Estate proactively sought out nearby businesses to provide goods and services during the tournament. “Our objective at St. Mellion Estate is to combine sporting excellence with the best of Cornish hospitality,” said Moon. “But we also recognise how fortunate we are to be located in an area rich in stunning landscapes and superb local produce. With that in mind we were determined to call upon local businesses to help us deliver the event.”
One such company is Friary Mill Bakery, which has opened 12 bakeries across Plymouth and Ivybridge since its launch in 1988. The company’s director, Karen Milner, is acutely aware of the area’s reputation for food and drink, and the significance of the Challenge Tour event.
“Friary Mill Bakery is very proud to be part of the British Challenge at St. Mellion Estate providing pasties and cakes to those attending this exciting event in such a stunning location,” she noted. “The benefits to the area of hosting such a tournament especially as we head into autumn, shouldn’t be undervalued. Working with the team at St. Mellion Estate, we’ve been acutely aware of the timely benefits of welcoming golf fans to the South West, but also the invaluable TV exposure the area will receive and the knock-on effect for next year. It’s a considerable opportunity.”
Set in 450 acres of stunning Cornish countryside, St. Mellion Estate has established a reputation for hosting golf at the highest level. The opening of the Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course in 1988 was marked by an exhibition match between a US team featuring Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson and the UK pairing of Nick Faldo and Sandy Lyle.
“We are very excited to be hosting the British Challenge at St. Mellion Estate and welcoming spectators of all ages to this free, ticketed event to enjoy watching some of the finest young golfing talent in Europe” said Moon.
To register for a free ticket, please follow the URL link: https://www.st-mellion.co.uk/en/british-challenge.html
– Ends –
Note to editors
1) Set in 450 acres of stunning Cornish countryside, St. Mellion Estate is a prestigious 36-hole tour venue with a heritage of golf at the highest level. For more details, visit www.st-mellion.co.uk.
2) The Nicklaus Signature Course at St. Mellion Estate was the first European course personally designed by Jack Nicklaus – the most successful golfer of all time.
3) St. Mellion Estate will host the highly anticipated British Challenge presented by Modest! Golf Management from 6-9 October, 2022.
4) Featuring two world-class 18-hole courses both with European Tour pedigree, St. Mellion Estate seamlessly combines sporting excellence with the very best of Cornish hospitality.
5) St. Mellion Estate is a four-star resort and 12-time European Tour venue with two Challenge Tour events in the diary.
6) St. Mellion Estate has established itself as one of the UK’s leading golf resorts. In its list of the best resorts in the UK and Ireland, Golf World ranked St. Mellion Estate in the top 20.
7) The Nicklaus Signature Course at St. Mellion Estate was voted the best golf course in the West of England by Today’s Golfer and #2 on its list of top four-star golf resorts in the UK and Ireland.
8) St. Mellion Estate has hosted the B&H International Open seven times with Olazabal, Langer and Ballesteros among the winners.
9) The British Challenge will be the 29th tournament in an international schedule composed of 30 events. It is the penultimate outing before the Rolex Challenge Tour Grand Final supported by The R&A. To register for a free ticket to the event, please follow the URL link below:
10) The top 20 players on the Road to Mallorca Rankings will earn DP World Tour playing rights for the 2023 season. For more details, visit www.europeantour.com/challenge-tour
For further quotes, interview opportunities and images, please contact:
Yvonne Alexander, The Word Association
+44 (0) 7976 369 260